Monday, April 28, 2014

Buttermilk Biscuits


My mother spoiled us growing up with homemade breakfast nearly every morning. I've discussed before how my parents ignited my love for good food, and it's because they put such care in what they prepared for us, emphasizing quality and flavor. One of my favorite meals, even today, is biscuits and gravy. It's the ultimate in comfort food, perfect for Saturday morning lounging. These biscuits are quick to whip up and bake. They are fluffy and soft and melt in your mouth with a dab of butter and honey. 

You can prep the dough ahead of time, freeze and pop in the oven in the morning. There are so many ways to serve these delicious treats. Prep them for bacon and egg sandwiches. Spread with peanut butter and honey. Serve alongside chicken fried chicken and mashed potatoes (which is what we did for Easter!). Add butter and jam for a quick breakfast. Make sausage and gravy for a truly comforting start to your day. 



What You'll Need:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
9 tbsp chilled unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
3/4 cup buttermilk

What To Do:
Preheat oven to 400 °F and grease baking sheets. 

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles a coarse meal (you can use a pastry blender or forks, but I just used my hands!). Add buttermilk and stir until large clumps form. Knead mixture until it just holds together. 

Transfer dough to a floured surface and roll out to 1/2- 3/4 inch thick. Cut circles out of dough and transfer to greased baking sheets. I used a mason jar to roll and cut my dough, which worked perfectly. 

Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm!


Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
originally adapted from Dot’s Diner in Boulder via Bon Appetit

1 comment:

  1. Biscuits are one of my favorite things to make! I learned from my Grandma who learned from her Mom. I actually dream of both their biscuits because I can't quite get mine to be the same as theirs...My Grandma is still alive so we talk a lot about what I'm doing different...One day I want to make them in the south (where she lives) with the exact ingredients (she uses self rising, I use all purpose and baking powder...she uses crisco or lard, I use coconut oil and butter...etc)

    I'd love to hear about some of the things your Mom fixed for your day to day breakfasts!!! I grew up on cereal with Saturday morning pancakes every now and then. I've branched out a little, but I'm always looking for ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...