Thursday, April 26, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese- Panera Bread Recipe


Panera Bread is one of my favorite spots to have a lunch date,
or take my huge backpack and camp out 
while preparing lessons and studying the Word.

Of course, I like that they have wifi and power outlets and booths,
but the best part is their food!
Everything always tastes fresh and is healthier than other fast food options.
Plus, on their website they offer recipes for some of their most popular items
including their mac n cheese.

This macaroni and cheese is rich and creamy and super cheesy! 
I thought it turned out really good and tasted just like the side dish you get there.

What To Do:

  • Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente.  Drain well.  Return to the stockpot off the heat.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Stir in the flour and cook until light golden brown, whisking constantly, about 1½-2  minutes.  Slowly whisk in the milk until no lumps remain.  Stir in the salt, mustard, and hot sauce.  Lower the heat to medium and continue to cook the sauce, stirring frequently, until it bubbles and thickens, about 6-8 minutes.
  • Remove the sauce from the heat.  Stir in the cheese a handful at a time, mixing until fully melted before adding more.  Once all the cheese has been added and the sauce is smooth, pour the sauce over the pasta in the stockpot.  Mix well until the pasta is fully coated in the sauce.  Serve immediately.
from Annie's Eats, originally from Panera Bread

21 comments:

  1. I had this last night (at Panera) and they don't use shells anymore! I was slightly disappointed. Can't wait to try it at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound really yummy! Like a classed up mac and cheese! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually went to Panera Bread on my birthday for lunch this week! I was wearing my birthday girl sash and the lady at the cash register sang happy birthday to me all by herself! It was precious.

    Thank you for your comment on my 'changing' post recently... thank you for the reminder that He is in control. That is the thing I need to be reminded of above all else at this time in my life. New follower!

    SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

    ReplyDelete
  4. this recipe sounds interesting. looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks AMAZING!! :)
    I am filing this away to try sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am most definitely going to try this. Their mac and cheese is the best!!

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog and for the follow. I hope you're having a really great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What kind Dijon mustard did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, I just used the plain Dijon mustard. I think it was HEB store brand? Hope this helps!

      Delete
  8. What kind of hot sauce did you use? This interests me because I LOVE panera's mac and cheese!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheyenne! I used what was on hand- Valentina's hot sauce. There is such a small amount of it for the amount of pasta that it won't really matter though!

      Delete
  9. I cooked this tonight for our thanksgiving dinner. It was amazing, the only problem I had was it got thick fast it did not stay creamy, in about 15 mins it was all stuck together :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the same trouble making a sauce from a roux before. Easy fix though! Just add more milk and heat through. As the sauce cools, it will thicken, so make sure it's very creamy from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this today.....twice. excellent both times. I went to visit mom BC she just had dental surgery and is on a soft food diet. I thought there would be plant left to take home to my FAM.......wrong. it went. . .so much that when I got home I had to make it again for my hubby and boys. My 2 yr old loves it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just finished dinner...it was great! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Want to make this tonight but I can't find white cheddar. Will regular cheddar work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I get white cheddar from the deli counter at the supermarket but if you can't find it then regular cheddar will work. It will just affect the color!

      Delete
  14. Just made this today and it tasted delicious. Next time though I would use half the flour to make the sauce a little thinner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This dishes is so taste I had twice week ago with my friends.Fresh Direct Coupon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...