Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Caramelized Onion, Mushroom, and Prosciutto Pizza



This pizza blew my mind.


I paid for top notch ingredients when I'm normally pretty okay with using store brand everything. But in this case the fresh and fancy components contributed to an amazing overall finished product. 


Every Wednesday my three roommates and I have dinner together and then go through our triad (quadad?) study on character. It's such a wonderful time to connect and build on the community in our home. Jessica and I alternate cooking for the group and I love the challenge of it- one roommate is vegetarian and one is gluten intolerant so I'm forced to try and adapt recipes like I never would have before. The other great thing about them is that they'll try anything! Besides their dietary restrictions, none of them are picky eaters... so before when I would have had to exclude any number of things (onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, jalapenos, ranch dressing, mayo), I can now include all of those yummy ingredients! 


Here's what you'll need:
  • pizza crust- make your own from scratch or buy a mix or buy a prepared crust. I was planning to make my own from scratch using this recipe, but after making pumpkin snickerdoodles I was pretty low on flour and was NOT taking another trip to the grocery store. So I used a gluten free boxed mix from Hodgson Mill and it turned out really well.
  • Olive Oil
  • 1 Red Onion
  • Brown Sugar
  • 10 oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
  • Parmesan Cheese 
  • Salt 
  • 6-8 slices of Prosciutto- I found mine in the specialty cheese/deli section of HEB 
  • Sliced Mushrooms - I love buying mushrooms because whenever I see the Monterey Mushrooms label, it reminds me of home and the Texas Mushroom Festival Queen days



Look at that terrible posture!


Anyway... back to the pizza!

What to do

Prepare your crust


Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and thinly slice your red onion. Throw the red onion in the oil and sprinkle on some brown sugar. Stir and cook until tender and browned.  Set aside. Warning- this is going to make your home smell divine and people may flock to the kitchen to watch. 


Brush a little bit of olive oil on your crust and sprinkle with salt and grated Parmesan cheese. Slice your mozzarella into very thin slices and play atop your crust.



Top with your caramelized onions, sliced mushrooms, and prosciutto. Sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese and place in the oven at 450-500 degrees for about fifteen minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden.

You can always turn the broil on for a couple of minutes to ensure that pretty browned top.


Our pizza fed (and impressed) four people and can easily be adapted to include whatever toppings make you happy!

Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, Chelsea! This pizza looks so delicious, and I love that you're from Austin, too! Thanks for sharing your recipe. You have a beautiful blog and I'm so glad to have found it, especially from someone who shares my city! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...