Monday, November 21, 2011

Perfect Pot Roast


My favorite favorite favorite comfort food is pot roast. 
My restaurant reviews are often based on their quality of pot roast.
I even love pot roast-like entrees such as beef tips or carne guisada.
I don't know what it is, there's just something about the savory, 
filling, warm, falling-apart-tender meat that makes everything feel like home.

I love this method because it's super easy to put together on my way out the door if I know there will be little prep time that night. 

And, sometimes, it's totally okay to use a gravy packet. 

You'll need:
1 3 lb center cut chuck roast
1 can french onion soup
2 packets brown gravy mix
1 small onion
carrots
3 red potatoes 

Rinse and pat dry your roast. Salt and pepper both sides generously. On medium heat, brown both sides. Roughly chop potatoes and onion. Put veggies in the bottom of the crock pot. Put browned roast on top. Pour in the soup and gravy mix, and add enough water to cover everything. Mix it up so nothing's clumpy. Cook on low for 6-10 hours, the longer the better! I like to add the carrots for the last hour so that they're still a little crunchy. I had baby carrots on hand, so that's what I used.

To make a brown gravy to top the roast, take 1 cup of the liquid from the crock pot and add two tablespoons of flour over medium heat. Whisk these together. Continue adding flour and liquid until you've achieved the desired consistency.

Serve with mashed potatoes! 




2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This looks greeeatt! I wonder if it would taste just as good with brown rice instead of taters... What do you think??
    Janette, the Jongleur

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's one of my faves too! mainly because it involves the crock pot and makes my life easier. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...