Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Queso Blanco


This Saturday is Cinco de Mayo! 

(my silly students)

Working at a predominantly Hispanic church , dating a Hispanic guy and living in Texas in general makes me really appreciate all the Mexican heritage around me. The culture is so vibrant and colorful... and the food is some of the best in the world!

(my love)

So I'll be sharing some of my favorite Mexican-influenced recipes between now and then to give you some fun ideas on how you can celebrate this weekend.

This queso blanco is the perfect dip for a Cinco de Mayo party or gathering because it's simple to throw together... and who doesn't like melted cheese?? Serve it with tortilla chips or warm tortillas. I've poured leftover queso over scrambled eggs!

I will note that I use quite a bit more milk/cream than this recipe calls for, probably about 1.5-2 cups as needed to keep it nice and smooth. However, if you can keep your queso dip warm in a crock pot or over a candle warmer, then there should be no problem!

The secret to this melty goodness is White American Cheese
(You can get it at the deli counter at the grocery store)
So make sure you don't substitute in a different white cheese
You can end up with a gooey mess! 



What You’ll Need:
1 tbsp cooking oil
¼ cup white onion, diced
1 large jalapeno, seeds and stem removed, diced
12 oz White American cheese, shredded (ask for 3 slices on 10 at the deli!)
4 oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (but not pre-shredded)
¼- 2/3 cup heavy cream or milk
1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
1small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 small avocado- optional
Tortilla chips 

What To Do:
Heat the oil in a sauté pan. Cook the onion and pepper until softened (about five minutes) and  reduce heat to medium-low. Add the shredded cheese and ¼ cup of the cream. Stir until mostly melted. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. Serve warm topped with sliced avocado, along with chips, tortillas or over tacos!



6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Mexican style foods but this dip looks absoultely delicious!

    Thank you for your sweet birthday wishes for me last week :)

    SoUtHeRnPiNkY.bLoGsPoT.cOm

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited about cinco de mayo!!!! This recipe looks perfect for it too! Yay queso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg my favorite stuff ever! i might add a couple jalapenos.. :) so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexican food is my absolute favorite! Tacos! I order them everywhere we go!!! :) And queso!?! Can't go wrong with some yummy queso!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lady... SOMEBODY has a FEATURE! ;) http://www.trulylovelyblog.net/2012/05/fancy-this-features-74/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really good and I wish I had everything to make it right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...