Monday, August 26, 2013

Lime Pie Paletas


Although I think I've come a long way bridging the cultural gap between my darling Hispanic students at OMBC and my very Caucasian self, there were some interesting learning moments along the way. 

On our very first trip as student minister and youth group, we were canvasing flyers in an apartment complex. And every time we went, tinkling music played as an older man pushed a freezer cart full of frozen treats. The kids would get super excited, dig for their cash and run after him. 

"Where are you going?" I asked one student. "The paleta man!" she replied. 

Insert confused face here. "Huh?" I had no clue what they were talking about. Thankfully one of them took pity on me and explained that a paleta is basically a popsicle- a frozen treat on a stick. It was my first experience with paletas (which I also coughed up a dollar daily to enjoy) but definitely not my last! This past year I lived right by an elementary school and the paleta cart was there at the corner every day for the children (and neighbors) to enjoy.

I came across Paletas by Fany Gerson and some $1 popsicle molds at Walmart and it has been a beautiful combination.  I bookmarked so many recipes to test! These lime pie pops got my immediate attention because I happened to have sweetened condensed milk in my pantry and limes are currently 10 cents each. They are fantastically creamy, tart and sweet! I love how the fresh squeezed juice really shines through. Plus, they're ridiculously easy to make. Juicing the limes is the hardest part. 

This recipe makes 8 full size pops or 24 mini pops. The photo displays paletas molded in 1 oz measuring shot glasses. I think these are the perfect size for a party or just for casual snacking! 

What You'll Need:
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup half and half
3/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 4-5 small limes juiced)
1 tsp lime zest 
pinch of salt 
green food coloring (optional)
2 cups crushed Graham Crackers 

What To Do:
Whisk together the milk, half and half, lime juice,  zest and salt until completely uniformly mixed. Add food coloring if desired and stir well. 

Pour into your molds. (If using shot glasses/Dixie Cups or other unconventional molds, freeze for 1 hour and then add popsicle sticks.) Freeze for 4-5 hours. 

Run warm water around the molds before gently removing your paleta. Before serving, roll each paleta in cracker crumbs to complete the perfect pie combination! 

Recipe adapted from Paletas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...