With crisp cold weather blowing in, I crave warm, hearty meals like this chili! I love that this recipe lightens up traditional chili and is packed with important nutrients. So even though it might feel like a yummy fall splurge, it is quite healthy. I thought that pumpkin sounded like a weird addition, but it adds a wonderful depth of flavor and thickens the texture. Plus pumpkin adds Vitamin A, potassium and fiber!
This is a pretty mild chili on the spicy scale but you can always kick your heat up with a little cayenne pepper.
I used ground turkey in my recipe but this would be fantastic with Thanksgiving leftovers! Just cube up that leftover turkey and you've got a great second (or third or fourth) meal.
What You'll Need:
What To Do:
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and
- pepper; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Crumble in ground turkey, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and continue cooking until no longer pink.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours. Serve warm with avocado and
- sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home