Monday, September 26, 2011

Hungry Monday- Torchy's Tacos

Happy Monday everyone! 

Hope your week is off to a fantastic start.

My weekend was a little subdued by a sprained ankle, which affects way more than I thought it would, and I am looking forward to a brand new week. (more about the ankle later)


Anyway, this morning  I wanted to share about one of my favorite late night frequents and lunch regulars. Torchy's Tacos!

Let me start off by saying- I. Love. Tacos. So I have pretty high expectations when it comes to my tortillas, fillings and sauces. And I tend to start craving tacos right as most places are shutting down. My first Torchy's experience came from just such a craving. Well lo and behold I discovered that Torchy's is open until 10pm on weekdays and 11pm on weekends! When I got there, Queen was playing. The cashier asked how my day was liked he genuinely cared. I filled my drink cup with Dublin Dr Pepper from the fountain. And the tacos did not fail to deliver.

Since that day, I have been a big fan and frequent customer of Torchy's, and the reasons to love them have grown. They have several locations, including one food truck! They have a variety of flavors, and every time I try something new I am pleasantly surprised. Most have nice outdoor dining which is perfect if your furry friends like to join you for taco dining. They have two spicy ranch sauces- the chipotle and poblano- and I always get extra cups of it to take home. It's that good.

The tacos range from $2 for breakfast tacos to $4 for some of the meatier options. I normally get two tacos and it's plenty filling. I get everything on flour because I'm Caucasian like that, and I put the chipotle or poblano sauce on all of them.

My favorites are:

  • The Trailer Park- flour tortilla, fried chicken strips, pico de gallo, lettuce and green chilies with poblano sauce. "Get it trashy" by taking off the lettuce and adding queso. Add the queso. It's sooo good. 

  • Fried Avocado - a fried avocado, refried beans, lettuce, cheese and pico de gallo, with poblano sauce. Great vegetarian option, but still scrumptious even if you aren't! 
(photo from torchystacos.com)
  • Baja Shrimp- hand battered fried shrimp, cabbage slaw, pickled jalepeno and onion, queso fresco, cilantro and lime, with chipotle sauce. The ingredients sound a little strange but they blend perfectly to make one flavorful little taco.

  • The Democrat- barbacoa, avocado, cilantro, onion, queso fresco and lime. This is definitely a heartier taco. Don't be afraid of the word barbacoa. It's a tender shredded beef. And Torchy's version is not nearly as greasy as what you'll get out of a roadside taco truck. Yum!


What are you favorite Torchy's Tacos?

1 comment:

  1. Fried Avocado!! And one of my favorite Torchy's memories was waiting an hour in line at the new far south location just to get two free tacos and free chips and guac and queso! So worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...