Tuesday, October 18, 2011

DIY Mocha Frappe




For my birthday this year, my wonderful-beyond-words sister gifted me with 
a Mr. Coffee Cafe Frappe machine. I call him Fred. Fred the Frappe Machine.


This makes my heart happy. See, I'm not sure if you picked up on it when I talked about pumpkin spice lattes, but I spend way too much at Starbucks (and used to at McDonald's until I discovered how many calories their frappes have. Yikes!)

Fred makes it super simple to create my own frappes right at home!

He's a coffee maker/blender combination. 

Now, my recipe will work if you brew your stuff and use a regular blender- 
this just saves me a step.

There are two methods that I use to make a great frappe. 

The first is hot brewed:
Brew about 1/4 cup very strong coffee. 
Pour immediately into blender with:
  • 1 1/2 cups ice
  • 3/4 cups milk- (sometimes i'm really bad and use heavy cream)
  • splash of simple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup (or caramel or whatever flavor you'd like!)

Blend to your desired consistency, adding ice or milk as needed. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Mmmmm!


To minimize weakening of your overall coffee flavor, you can also brew your hot coffee, let it cool in the fridge and then blend.


In the past, things that haven't worked have been
  • using too much coffee
  • using weak coffee
  • using granulated sugar
  • waiting too long to blend (thus melting the ice and weakening your drink)
The other method is cold brewed

Cold brewed coffee can be used for frappes or iced coffee and has much less acid than hot brewed coffee. So, if you're planning ahead, this is a good way to go. 

What you'll do is soak coffee grounds in water for at least 8 hours (overnight is even better! the longer, the more flavor transfer) The ratio of grounds to water will depend on what you're making it for. If you're making iced coffee, use 1 oz coffee per 1 cup water. For the frappe, I'd triple that amount. 

Once it's all soaked and set, filter the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. I used a colander with coffee filters since I don't have fancy kitchen things (besides Fred, that is).

Once it's all strained, refrigerate up to month in an airtight container 

Use the same measurements to blend a mocha frappe as the hot brewed directions. Yum!

Iced Coffee recipe coming soon, so stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...