Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ultimate Stuffed French Toast


I love breakfast for dinner or as a late night snack. Even better is a dessert disguised as breakfast, for a late night snack. And that, my friends, is how the ultimate stuffed french toast was born. I knew that I had bread, eggs and Nutella. I remembered this post for Nutella Stuffed French Toast that I had pinned a while back. But then I wanted more than Nutella. So I added sliced bananas, peanut butter and chocolate chips. Pretty much anything good in the pantry went into this concoction!

The recipe calls for a thick bread, but all I had was regular ol' whole wheat sandwich bread. So instead of actually stuffing the bread, I made it sandwich-style. It's probably a lot easier this way anyway!

The filling was phenomenal, but what really makes this stand out is the "batter". You see, in the past I'd just dunk the bread in some egg wash and go with it. The addition of flour really makes an evident difference! The interior of the bread is soft and gooey like any good french toast is, but the outside is crisped and perfectly browned. This was all around a winner in my book! In fact, my mother and I will be whipping this up this weekend for my dad's 50th birthday! I'm looking forward to subbing in other filling options- like strawberries and cream cheese; banana, peanut butter and honey; or apple and brie!


What You'll Need:
2 tbsp Nutella
2 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 banana, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 sliced of bread (I used whole wheat)
1 large egg
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Unsalted butter
Powdered sugar for serving

What To Do:

Spread one piece of bread with peanut butter and the other with Nutella. Top with banana slices and chocolate chips, and press together like a sandwich. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. In a shallow dish or pie plate, whisk together the egg and milk. Whisk in the melted butter and vanilla. Add the flour, cinnamon and salt and whisk until smooth. Place the sandwich into the egg mixture. Soak for 30 to 40 seconds per side, allow excess to drip off and transfer to a plate. 
Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the heated skillet and swirl to coat. Add the slices in a single layer, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until light golden brown. Flip and continue cooking an additional 1-2 minutes. Add more butter as needed and repeat with remaining slices. Transfer to a plate, dust with powdered sugar, then top with macerated strawberries. Serve immediately.




Recipe adapted from Cook Like a Champion,
originally adapted from Annie's Eats

4 comments:

  1. Anything with Nutella has to be good! I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious!! I'm allergic to peanut butter but I'm definitely going to try this out with other stuffings. Yum, drooling just thinking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love french toast!! My sister loves Nutella too, so I'm pretty sure this will be family breakfast next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...