Monday, November 28, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup



This would be perfect alongside a sandwich with leftover turkey, 
or in a bread bowl as a whole meal. 

It has a great textured, flavorful quality that is chock full of warm goodness! 
I left the broccoli pretty big and didn't blend it too much 
and it had a very hearty consistency.

For my bread bowl, I bought some scratch made kaiser rolls 
from the bakery. Cut a hole in the top and dig out the insides. 
I served center bread pieces with olive oil and spices as an appetizer! 

This recipe is also easy to adjust. I didn't have whole milk or 
half and half so I subbed in 2% milk and heavy cream. I'm not sure 
how much cheese I actually added.. i just shredded 
a whole block and threw it in!

You could also add in carrots or bacon bits to add color and flavor!


What You Need:

1 small Onion, Diced
1 stick Butter
1/3 cup Flour
4 cups Whole Milk
2 cups Half-and-half
4 heads Broccoli Cut Into Florets
1 pinch Nutmeg
3 cups Grated Cheese (mild Cheddar, Sharp Cheddar, Jack, Etc.)
Small Dash Of Salt (more If Needed)
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Splash Of Chicken Broth If Needed For Thinning

What To Do:

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add the onions. Cook the onions for 3 to 4 minutes, then sprinkle the flour over the top. Stir to combine and cook for 1 minute or so, then pour in milk and half-and-half. Add nutmeg, then add broccoli, a small dash of salt, and plenty of black pepper.

Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Taste seasonings and adjust if needed. Then either serve as is, or mash it with a potato masher to break up the broccoli a bit, or transfer to a blender in two batches and puree completely. (If you puree it in a blender, return it to the heat and allow to heat up. Splash in chicken broth if needed for thinning.)

Besides baked potato soup, this is my favorite warm-you-up meal soup! 
What's your favorite warm-you-up soup?

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Broccoli cheese soup is one of my favorites! And I haven't made it yet this fall so I need to get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum! My go-to is always potato soup, but this would be a delicious alternative! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...