Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Giving That Gives Back



Oh, Christmas. 
I love so much about this holiday. 
One of the best parts is giving. 

Cooking elaborate meals.
Packaging specially picked gifts for each person.
Doing it early so they can sit under my little tree and 
make it look like I'm a modern St Nick. 

However,
I've been challenged to view giving differently this year
rather than just purchasing cool gadgets
or the best new thing
I'm considering giving to fill needs
of the recipient,
of others

Over the next couple weeks, I'll be sharing 
out-of-the-ordinary ideas, and ways to give.
Be looking for great handmade gift ideas in the future
but today I want to share my favorite ways of giving that gives back! 


Today's idea:
Giving that Gives Back:
  • Toms Shoes

So many great options, like grosgrain ribbon and burlap! 
My faves are still the classic canvas style, $44. 
They are insanely comfortable and for every pair purchased, 
a pair is given to a child in need!
  • Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalog




If you didn't get a chance to do Operation Christmas Child, this is another great giving resource from Samaritan's Purse! You pick how you'd like to help someone- from sports equipment to mosquito nets to clean water to sheep, you can help a family sustain themselves, remain healthy and give hope for their future! It'd be a neat gift for a child- give them the catalog and they get to pick how to help and then to pray over their gift!
  • St Jude's Gift Catalog

All of the proceeds from the Hope Gift Book benefit St. Jude's Research Hospital and go towards furthering the life, and the quality of life, of children! I thought this necklace was gorgeous and would make a great gift!

  • Operation Christmas Child 

Although the deadline has come and gone this year, Operation Christmas Child has been part of my Christmas tradition for about 10 years. When I was younger, I would give up one gift I was receiving for Christmas, and we would fill a box instead. They go all over the world to children who won't be receiving anything for Christmas otherwise. It opens a bridge to sharing how much Jesus loves each of us and allows Samaritan's Purse to form relationships with communities.

  • The Rainforest Site
Hope for Haiti Metal Crosses, 12.95

Recycled Rara Butterfly Bag, 28.00
These beautiful handmade items are sold to support artisan efforts in Haiti and Africa. It ensures that laborers are paid for their work fairly and helps lift their families and communities out of poverty! 
In addition, each purchase protects rainforest land!

What's your favorite way to give back through giving?
(I'm pretty sure that sentence makes sense in my mind)


Also, I'm super excited to be participating in Cold Hands, Warm Hearts 
hosted by Much Love, Illy and Sandy A La Mode
We are partnered with other bloggers and gift them 
a pair of gloves or mittens and other goodies.

My partner is Jessica over at The In-Between.
Stop by and show her some love!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking to my blog. :)
    I love love love Toms and the concept behind their business model. I plan to put a pair on my Christmas list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about Hello Somebody and their hard-not-to-notice watches! Each purchase helps a kid in Rwanda.

    http://hello-somebody.com/

    Love my Toms!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...