Friday, April 20, 2012

New Home Inspiration: Bedroom Edition

In August, I'll be moving to Ft Worth, and for the first time ever, living by myself.

It's gotten me thinking though. 
If, for the first time ever, 
I'm not sharing spaces and can have complete control over what kind of colors, 
motifs and overall vibes go into my home, what kind of space do I want to create? 

There are a couple of conditions going into this decision process.
  1. Any new purchases must be affordable. [I'm talkin Goodwill and Craigslist affordable.] 
  2. I must make use of what I already have. 
  3. The end result should be a place that is: a reflection of my personality/taste, relaxing, and somewhere that I want to spend time.
(I don't know about you guys, but clutter, disorganization and some color combos actually stress me out! I know that's totally weird, but I want to be sure that as I'm planning I remember that.)

So here is my initial inspiration for my bedroom

current:


Right now my bedroom looks like a middle school girls room. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my polka dots, but I'd like to retire the bedspread and photo collages and invest in a more mature color palette. 

So, since I already have a beautiful matching bed frame and dresser+mirror in a rustic brown (and by rustic brown, I mean it's made of wood, old and worn down) , plus a brown upholstered rocking chair, and brown sheets for the bed... I'm sticking with brown as a solid neutral.

To that, I'll  be adding white, deep purple, and pops of turquoise! 


Kinda like this
(pinned here)


Replacing the beige comforter with a crisp basic white bedspread

Replacing the polka dot blanket with a deep purple, ruffled blanket.
Instead of purchasing this beauty from Urban Outfitters, my roommate and I are going to team up DIY it!


.... using this tutorial.

Personalizing throw pillows I already have with brightly patterned cases 
and handmade embellishments like this in purple, turquoise, white and brown



Add art to the walls by printing out and framing free printables

 

and making use of my Naptime Diaries, Willow of Wonder, and Magnolia Moonlight prints
by spray painting cheap frames in coordinating colors.

What do you think? 

3 comments:

  1. Loving all of your ideas! Can't wait to see how that ruffled comforter comes out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purple and the browns together :) beautiful choices, it is going to looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the wall writing:)) and the pillow! and everything else lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...