Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Homemade Blueberry Sauce


I love adding blueberries to my cereal, smoothies or yogurt, but sometimes I have a hard time finishing a carton by myself. With my last little bit I simmered them down into this delicious blueberry sauce- with no processed sugars! It would be perfect over waffles or pancakes (obviously), ice cream, or yogurt! 


It is a perfect blend of sweet and tart and I didn't feel guilty at all smothering it all over these vanilla honey waffles. Plus it only takes about five minutes to prepare so would be great for mornings on a schedule.


What You'll Need:
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup 100% apple juice (I used Simply Apple)
2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 2 tsp cold water
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
optional- 1 tbsp honey

What To Do:
Add blueberries, lemon juice and apple juice to a small pot and bring to a slow boil, stirring frequently. Combine the cornstarch and cold water and pour into the pot slowly, stirring carefully as to not crush the berries. Simmer about five minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Add vanilla. Check the consistency and sweetness of the sauce and adjust accordingly- adding honey for sweetness or more apple juice to thin out the sauce. Serve over waffles or your favorite treat! 



inspired by My Baking Addiction

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...